Culture Minister Says Campaign For Reparation Will Continue
Minister of Culture, Gender Affairs, Entertainment and Sport Olivia Grange says the Government will not back down on its campaign for reparation for the injustices of slavery.
“The policy direction is clear, and we will continue to see through campaigns and initiatives being undertaken by the National Council on Reparation (and will take) strategic steps towards honouring our foreparents,” she adds.
In a message read by principal director of culture and creative industries in the policy Division of the ministry, Dr Janice Lindsay, for the 235th commemorative anniversary of the Zong Massacre of 1781 at the Institute of Jamaica (IOJ) on December 22, Miss Grange spoke to the value of the recently revamped reparation council.
She said the Zong Massacre, in which 133 enslaved Africans were murdered while being transported to Jamaica, highlights the need to right the wrongs of the Transatlantic Slave Trade, through the work of the council.
Miss Grange said the story speaks to the essence of democracy, to the reach of a superpower over a small State, to human rights, decency and justice.
At the start of its voyage from Ghana (West Africa) to Jamaica, the slave ship, Zong, was loaded with 442 enslaved Africans. By the time the ship docked in Black River, St Elizabeth, 133 Africans had been thrown overboard, supposedly to ward off illness and prevent a perceived threat of low water rations. Read more
Source: Jamaica Gleaner