Senior Appointments Made at 2017 UWI Council Meeting
The UWI Regional Headquarters, Jamaica. 05 May 2017– In addition to the appointment of the new UWI Chancellor, a number of new and returning deans and senior managers were confirmed at the Annual Meeting of the Council of The University of the West Indies (The UWI) held at the Cave Hill Campus in Barbados on April 27, 2017. As the governing body of The UWI, the University Council exercises powers such as making appointments authorised by The UWI’s Charter and Statutes, managing the finances, and all business affairs of the University. These appointments included:
- Re-appointment of the Dean, Faculty of Science and Technology, Cave Hill Campus: Dr Colin Depradine
- Appointment of new Dean, Faculty of Faculty of Humanities and Education, Cave Hill Campus: Professor Evelyn O’Callaghan
- Appointment of new Dean, Faculty of Medical Sciences, Mona Campus: Dr Tomlin Paul
- Re-appointment of the Dean, Faculty of Law, St. Augustine Campus: Professor Rose-Marie Belle-Antoine
Campus Senior Executive Team
- Appointment of new Deputy Principal, St. Augustine Campus: Professor Indar Ramnarine
- Re-appointment of the Deputy Principal, Open Campus: Professor Julie Meeks-Gardner
- Re-appointment of the Campus Registrar, Mona Campus: Dr Camille Bell-Hutchinson
- Re-appointment of the University Registrar, Regional Headquarters: Mr C. William Iton
Campus Council Members
- Appointment of new Chair, Campus Council, Mona Campus: Mr Earl Jarret
- Appointment of new Chair, Campus Council, Open Campus: Her Excellency Dr June Soomer
Deans serve a period of four years, while Council Chairs are appointed for a five-year term and the period of appointments for members of the Campus Senior Executive Team vary. The Dean of a Faculty is responsible for its overall academic and administrative management including its financial affairs. He/she is also expected to also represent the Faculty on all relevant Campus and University Boards and Committees as well as external stakeholders.
The Deputy Campus Principal assists the Campus Principal in the administration of the campus and deputises in his/her absence. This position has special responsibility for student matters including academic quality, developing, implementing and assessing student services and co-curricular programmes and services that support the development and success of all students.
The Campus Registrar is directly responsible for administering the admissions, registration and examinations processes for students. Additionally, as Chief Administrative Officer of the campus, he/she is charged with providing secretariat services to all campus committees and for administering the records and archives of the campus. The Campus Registrar also administers the recruitment of staff and is responsible for training and development.
Campus Council Chairs sit at the helm of the governing and executive body of the campuses. Each Campus Council is vested by the University Council, to manage all matters as prescribed in the University’s Statute 21 and subject to The UWI’s Charter.