Trinidad and Tobago told to be prepared for more aftershocks
PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad, Dec 7, CMC – The head of the Seismic Research Centre (SRC) at the St. Augustine campus of the University of the West Indies (UWI), Dr. Joan Lutchman, Wednesday warned Trinidad and Tobago to be prepared for more aftershocks following Tuesday’s 6.1 magnitude earthquake that sent many people scampering out of their homes into the streets.
Lutchman said that since the earthquake late Tuesday evening, the country has experienced more than 100 aftershocks, but there has been no reports of injuries or severe damages. The SRC had earlier revised its figure regarding the magnitude of the quake from 6.2
She said that even though impact of Tuesday’s earthquake appears to be minimal “it should be noted that these earthquakes if they are located right under your population centers the damage can be very significant”.
She said a similar earthquake in Managua in 1972 destroyed the city and warned nationals not to view the earth tremors being experienced here over the months as being small because they can cause significant damage depending on where they are located.
She said she is worried of a reaped of the 1766 earthquake here that had a “devastating impact aross Trinidad”.
Lutchman said there has been more than 100 aftershocks over the past 12 hours following Tuesday’s quake that caused items to be thrown of the selves of some supermarkets and reports in Tobago of minor damages to some buildings. Read more
Source: Antigua Observer Newspaper