UWI take Portmore to school, whipping them 4-1

The University of the West Indies (UWI) FC improved their impressive away record in the 2016 Red Stripe Premier League season after dishing out a harsh 4-1 beating on their hosts Portmore United at Spanish Town Prison Oval yesterday.

After Ricardo Morris recklessly picked up a straight red card for serious foul play in the 27th minute, Portmore United were left to live with the consequences and the university team duly took advantage.

Second-half goals from Davion Garrison (61st), substitutes Andrae Bernal (72nd) and Jerondy Henry (78th), and Dawyne Smith (83rd) pushed UWI FC up to 29 points, but they remain in second position behind champions Montego Bay United on 31.

Portmore’s consolation came from substitute Jovan East in the 84th minute.

With the comfortable victory, UWI FC also made amends for a 0-1 loss when they hosted the same opponents on last, as they capitalised on moving their away record to five wins from seven games.

Portmore United, who started the day in third position, remain on 24 points.

Despite the coming together of both teams on the half-hour mark when tempers flared minutes after the ejection of Morris, there were very few talking points in the lukewarm opening 45 minutes, which ended goalless.

Portmore started the better of the two teams and should have taken the lead in the third minute from a one-on-one situation, but Rodian Jennings eagerly went for power instead of placement when hitting a right-footed shot straight at custodian Amal Knight.

The university team had their best chances at goal from two well-taken set plays by Smith, but Kemar Foster, diving full stretch to his left, proved equal to the task on both occasions.

UWI FC, making the most of their numerical advantage, applied consistent pressure which resulted in two close shaves early into the resumption.

Smith produced another well-weighted free kick from 20 yards, which forced Foster into a quick reaction save to tip the ball over the crossbar.

The resulting corner kick from captain Rochane Smith picked out Ramoun Reid and his header on goal was picked off the line by a defender.

UWI inevitably broke the deadlock a minute past the hour mark when Bernal’s weighted right-sided cross was expertly headed home by Garrison.

Anthony Greenland joined the action eight minutes later, but failed to get on the scoresheet after guiding his right-footed effort wide of the left upright.

However, his despair was short-lived as Bernal turned in a delicate effort from the edge of the 18-yard area in the 72nd minute before being replaced in the attack by Henry a minute later. Read more

Source: Jamaica Observer